Early in February, a team of six healers from INAM visited Guiuan in Samar and Tacloban in Leyte to bring healing to the people hardest hit by one of the world’s strongest typhoon, Yolanda (Haiyan).
First stop was at Guiuan where Rene Navarro, world-renowned teacher of Traditional Yang Tai Chi Chuan, Qigong, Meditation, and Chi Nei Tsang, among others, guided barangay health workers (BHW) on INAM Dao Ren Terapi for psychosocial healing.
The INAM Dao Ren Terapi includes six healing modalities that the BHWs can easily learn and share to their communities. Among the healing modalities are:
(1) Jing Well exercise (Wirik-Wirik in Waray) used to awaken the jing well points at the tip of the fingers. This aids flow of the blood and also helps the practitioner to ‘let go’.
(2) Breathing exercise or pagginhawa which includes abdominal breathing and another breathing technique similar to abdominal breathing but is faster. These forms of breathing are very calming.
(3) Connection to heaven or Pag-Ugnay ng Langit which guides the practitioner on connecting to heaven, earth, and humanity.
(4) Healing sounds and colors where one is guided on the five healing sounds and colors that address the liver, heart, stomach, lung, and kidney.
(5) Tapping or Pakpak where different parts of the body are tapped to stimulate the internal organs.
(6) White crane spreading its wings or paglipad ng talabong which is a Tai Chi form and is a very good exercise for the spine.
Next stop was at Victory Island in Guiuan.
In coordination with the Medical Action Group, Rene Navarro once again taught INAM Dao Ren Terapi to people in the community. Soon after, INAM staff, Maria Cristina Parungao, Annie Solestre, and Ellen Marfil did acupuncture to the community members targeting points that would help them heal from the trauma brought by the typhoon. While the children had fun practicing Sivananda Yoga with yoga, pilates, and raw food teacher and reiki practioner Sonia G. Astudillo.
Reaching Tacloban City, in partnership with the Urban Poor Associates who are helping men of Brgy. 89 and 90 to rebuild their fishing boats, women were taught the INAM Dao Ren Terapi while the children practiced yoga and experienced Reiki healing. Another morning was spent with the women of Brgy. 89 and 90 on body movements.